|Cigar Rights of America
FIGHTING FOR THE FREEDOM TO ENJOY FINE CIGARS
These are the principles on which America was founded. Unfortunately for cigar enthusiasts, the age-old pleasure of enjoying a cigar is under attack. On a daily basis, your freedom to enjoy a cigar is being stripped away by an overzealous, anti-smoking movement. Their tactics are varied; be it through supporting onerous cigar taxes or lobbying government for restrictive smoking bans. The anti-smoking movement will stop at nothing short of the complete prohibition of tobacco.
- "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"
- "Land of the Free"
- "No Taxation Without Representation"
The Declaration of Independence of the United States ensures that all men and women have the freedom and the right to the pursuit of happiness. Unfortunately, cigar enthusiasts have slowly allowed these rights to be removed. Over the past twenty years, the anti-tobacco movement has broadened their reach and scope and are moving towards abolishing ALL forms of tobacco including cigars. Until recently there has essentially been very little organized opposition to their actions. And why should there have been? Most of us assumed that their attention was directed towards cigarettes.
Unfortunately, we were wrong. Here's the facts...
- All 50 states in America have some form of smoking ban and local, state, and federal governments are working to pass more-restrictive legislature.
- Additionally, 48 states in America have enacted cigar taxes. Some states have gone as far as taxing cigars at a rate of 75%.
- On February 4, 2009, President Obama signed the State Children's Health Insurance Plan (SCHIP) which raised the federal excise tax on cigars to 52.75%.
Cigar Rights of America (CRA) is a national advocacy organization dedicated to protecting the rights of the Consumer, Retail Tobacconist, Supply Chain and Manufacturers of premium cigars. In an effort to combat the threats of enjoying, selling, and producing premium cigars, Cigar Rights of America serves as a voice at each level of government and with the public at-large on issues of significance to the industry as a whole, and the cigar consumers of America, specifically.
Cigar Rights of America is located at:
300 New Jersey Ave, N.W, Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20001